Monday, November 22, 2010

THANKSGIVING TOP TEN!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!!!!


This week I am not going to share experiences that have happened, although those may pop through. But this year I will be missing the traditional "I'm thankful for..." trip in the car so I've included my top ten things I'm thankful for just so I don't get left out :) *these are not in any particular order after the first 3 so don't look too much into it....or the amount I write for each one haha*

1. Heavenly Father. Let's be honest, we know Dad would steal this one first. But since I'm going first this year I win. Haha. I am thankful for Heavenly Father. It still leaves me awed that I would have someone who loves me so much and so unconditionally. I can barely fathom my earthly parents love, so my Heavenly Father's is sometimes beyond comprehension. At the times when I have felt the most alone, the most hurt, the most lost, and the most fearful, He is there to remind me of who I am and where I came from. To remind me that I have divinity within me and that I am His precious daughter. That He is watching over me and making sure I am loved and guided. How blessed we are to have a Father that will never leave us alone, even in our moments of greatest trial.

2. Jesus Christ. I think that whatever words I use would be insufficient, dull, and lacking compared with the feelings that I cannot describe. So I'll just use Nephi's instead because as I read this this morning I felt more at one with Nephi than I may ever have.

"Behold, my soul delighteth in the things of the Lord; and my heart pondereth continually upon the things which I have seen and heard. Nevertheless, notwithstanding the great goodness of the Lord, in showing me his great and marvelous works, my heart exclaimeth: O wretched man that I am! Yea, my heart sorroweth because of my flesh; my soul grieveth because of mine iniquities. I am encompassed about, because of the temptations and the sins which do so easily beset me. And when I desire to rejoice, my heart groaneth because of my sins; nevertheless, I know in whom I have trusted. My God hath been my support; he hath led me through mine afflictions in the wilderness; and he hath preserved me upon the waters of the great deep. He hath filled me with his love, even unto the consuming of my flesh. He hath confounded mine enemies, unto the causing of them to quake before me. Behold, he hath heard my cry by day, and he hath given me knowledge by visions in the night-time. And by day have I waxed bold in mighty prayer before him; yea, my voice have I sent up on high; and angels came down and ministered unto me. O Lord, I have trusted in thee, and I will trust in thee forever.Yea, I know that God will give liberally to him that asketh. Yea, my God will give me, if I ask not amiss; therefore I will lift up my voice unto thee; yea, I will cry unto thee, my God, the rock of my righteousness. Behold, my voice shall forever ascend up unto thee, my rock and mine everlasting God." 2 Nephi 4

The atonement of Jesus Christ is the greatest gift we could receive. To be able to be healed, repent, change. Wow. Life is hard in NYC for a lot of people, members and nonmembers alike, as I know it is for everyone around the world. Sometimes all we can do is move forward, seguir adelante. And when those times come, when we are so tired, the Lord will sustain us. He will make it possible for us to carry the burdens that have been placed upon us. He doesn't get upset when we're tired--He knows that will happen. He just wants us to ask Him for help when those moments come. He knows because He's been there. He came to this earth and lived. He too was tired, He too was hurt, He too suffered. So when we take His outstretched hand, we are being led by one who has been there. He understands.

3. Holy Ghost. We have the blessing of having the constant companionship of a member of the godhead with us when we are worthy. A partner with God the Father and His Son Jesus Christ. He is the Comforter, and we wouldn't be fully happy without this connection with divinity.

4. Scriptures. Sister B read a scripture to me this morning in 3 Nephi 19:3 "And after I had made these plates by way of commandment, I, Nephi, received a commandment that the ministry and the prophecies, the more plain and precious parts of them, should be written upon these plates; and that the things which were written should be kept for the instruction of my people, who should possess the land, and also for other wise purposes, which purposes are known unto the Lord." She was talking about how people today want some "how-to" book on life. Here it is! For the "instruction of [His] people". Within this book are Heavenly Fathers "tips" if you would on how His children can live their lives. Why would we not read it!?

5. Music. I feel the Spirit flow through me with music more than anything else at times. And refer to number 3 if you don't see why that is so awesome.

6. People. There are so many good people in this world and I sometimes feel like I'm surrounded by them. President Nelson. Wow. Talk about mission presidents, this man is amazing. Sister Nelson equally so. All the missionaries here. All the members. All the nonmembers that we're working with. The nice lady on the street that held a door open for us the other day. People are good, there is always hope. And don't even get me started about things from my "other" life. All of my friends, family, peers, coworkers. I have been so influenced for good by all of these amazing people.

7. Trials. Let's just say that we learn to love people and know them better when we spend time with them. And during trials we spend a lot of time with the Savior.

8. Family. I could go on for about an hour or eternity with this one, so suffice it to say that I consider myself extremely blessed to have the family that I do. I have amazing parents that love me, love each other, and love the Lord. What more could a kid ask for really? And my sisters? Oh my goodness! Let's just say our corner of the celestial kingdom is going to be the partay zone. I love each one of you individually and for exactly who you are. I will always love all of you, no matter what you do or what else in life may change. I love my eternal family.

9. Sister B. I could also spend a lot of time on this point, but I only have a few minutes left. Sister B has been put on my top 20 list of most influential people. Mom, suffice it to say that you owe a large part of my mission success and happiness in this moment to Sister B. Her faith in the Savior and faith in me have strengthened and encouraged me. I am so blessed to have such a celestial friend and companion. 


10. The simple things. I love the simple things in life. Like Sister B yelling when a roach climbed all over her french toast that I made her this morning. Or me running around in my underwear and winter boots the other night trying to look for something. Or climbing up a fire hatch to go on the roof of the church building after a district meeting. Or playing hide and go seek for 20 minutes during language study cause our brains couldn't take it anymore. Enjoy every moment.          



I LOVE you all and I love the Lord.
Love the mish. Be the mish.
Hermana Winfield

No comments:

Post a Comment